10 Speed Networking Tips – when pitching to investors
June 13, 2011
How do you handle an Investor Speed Networking event? Here are a few tips to increase the success of your encounter.
In this case, Imagine you are a fund looking for investors
First, what not to do when speed networking
– Don’t rush
– Don’t just pack the encounter with facts
– Don’t do all the talking
– Don’t use scripted pitch
Instead – Prepare Your Speed Networking with 10 Steps
1. Start with an introduction and a swap of cards – learn the other person’s name and find out something about them. Think about building a relationship first.
2. Ask some questions first when speed networking – for example, to an investor, ‘What type of investments are you looking for now’
3. Listen to the answer for clues that tie their needs with what you offer
4. If there is clearly no fit, say so – but ask if they would be interested in hearing more – in case they know someone who might be interested
5. Have a strong one-line introduction to your elevator pitch which sums up your offer in a different way. Make this one-liner memorable. E.g. at Benjamin Ball Associates we say “We help senior management Pitch, Present & Persuade more effectively
6. If they are interested, go on and say more. Unfold what you offer bit by bit. Keep checking you have interest and understanding at each stage. Ask more questions.
7. You should be in a dialogue by now. Keep asking questions
8. Finish your speed networking with a summary of what you have discussed
9. Agree next steps
10. Keep your promises and follow up
About Benjamin Ball Associates
At Benjamin Ball Associates, we help our clients to communicate better. You get presentation coaching for executives.
Over 15+ years the award-winning BBA team has coached thousands of senior executives globally to present powerfully. You get access to a transformational toolbox of presentation skills & techniques to help you become a clear, confident communicator.
We’ll help you create a powerful first impression that hooks and engages your audience immediately, and we’ll transform you to deliver clearly, confidently and with impact.
Speak to Louise on +44 20 7018 0922 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more and discuss your upcoming speech or presentation.
Contact us for a chat about how we can help you with your presenting.
What leaders say about Benjamin Ball Associates
"Essential if you are going to be a spokesperson for your business"
Senior Analyst, Sloane Robinson
"Being an effective communicator is essential to get your stock ideas across. This course is exactly what's needed to help you do just that!"
CEO, Blast! Films
“Our investment in the coaching has paid for itself many times over.”
Corporate Finance House
“You address 95% of the issues in a quarter of the time of your competitor.”
“Good insight and a great toolbox to improve on my presentations and delivery of messages to not only boards, analysts and shareholders but to all audiences”
“We had a good story to tell, but you helped us deliver it more coherently and more positively.”
CEO, IPSO Ventures
“Ben did a great job on our presentation. He transformed an ordinary set of slides into a great presentation with a clear message. Would definitely use him again and recommend him highly.”
“Moved our presentation into a different league and undoubtedly improved the outcome and offer we received.”
Head of IR, Equinox
“A fantastic job reviewing and transforming our marketing material and helping us get our message across with clarity to potential investors.”