This what most people do to prepare presentations:
1. Switch on their computer
2. Open up PowerPoint
3. Search out other presentations given recently
4. Start making changes to PowerPoint slides
5. Print out the first batch of slides
6. Scribble all over them
7. Re-edit these slides
8. Keep on at the slides until late at night
9. Work at it over the weekend
10. Give it to a colleague to look at
11. Incorporate those comments
12. Work until late at night again
13. Rehearse in the taxi on the way to the meeting
Then, start with:
“Hello, my name is John Smith and I am here today to talk about…..”
This process is akin to making a movie by going out with a camera hoping to find interesting things to film.
1. Do NOT open PowerPoint
2. Be clear on who your audience is and what you want to achieve.
3. Have a single message that summarises your talk
4. Break down your presentation into clear parts
5. Start your presentation with a high impact statement
6. Identify stories, anecdotes and examples
7. Finish your presentation with a clear message, request or call to action
8. Use clear simple language
9. Incorporate pauses, short sentences, great eye contact
10. Work out what questions you could be asked
11. Now, work out if you really need any visual aids or handouts
12. Practise, practise, practise
Benjamin Ball Associates helps clients to communicate better.
Over 10+ years the award-winning BBA team has coached thousands of senior executives globally to present powerfully. We have developed a robust toolbox of techniques that we use to help our clients become clear, confident communicators.
We’ll help you create a powerful first impression that hooks and engages your audience immediately and we’ll coach you to deliver clearly, confidently and with impact.
Speak to Louise on +44 20 7018 0922 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more and discuss your upcoming speech or presentation.
Contact us to improve your presenting skills
Fundraising presentations are hard work. You're bombarded with challenging questions from investors, worn out by long days, and struggling to...
Five ways to create the best investor presentation If you want investment, you need the best investor presentation. But investment...
Do your leadership public speaking skills inspire, motivate and influence others? They should. Many leaders are nervous of public speaking....
A great investor pitch book is at the heart of successful fundraising. You use it to capture the essence of...
Better Body Language We all know that body language is important in business. But how important? And does is really...
Five Top Fundraising Tips At SuperReturn Emerging Markets in Amsterdam, experienced LPs and advisors shared their private equity fundraising tips...
A great elevator pitch is an essential part of your toolkit Last month I chaired the Quickfire Showcase at Berlin’s...
You must prepare for media interviews The excruciating Newsnight interview with Treasury Minister Chloe Smith this summer is one example of...
How do you write well for business? Could you be more impressive with better writing? These days, we are writing...
How to answer difficult investor questions When an investor questions how you calculated your Private Equity fund's performance, how do...
How do you choose a public speaking coach? When selecting a public speaking coach or presentation trainer, you want to work...
How To Use Powerful Language For Leadership Communications Great leaders use Power Language. It adds interest and colour to...
So What? is probably your most important question. When you put your talk or presentation together, how do you decide what...
What do LPs want from private equity funds at first investor meetings? That's the question I put to the panel...
What do investors really want? Six tips We wrote this piece with our Private Equity clients in mind. But there...
Do you want to give high impact talks and presentations? Do you want to engage your audience? And do you want...
How do you tell a great business story? Leaders use storytelling so that audiences listen, remember and act on what...
How do you make your investment pitch more memorable? It's a real challenge these days. Investors have more opportunities than...
Your leadership talks need to be persuasive As a leader, every talk or presentation you give is an exercise in persuasion....
A well-crafted private equity pitch book can make the difference between securing a first meeting with investors and getting a...
Client Services Director
+44 (0)20 7018 0922