This what most people do to prepare presentations:
1. Switch on their computer
2. Open up PowerPoint
3. Search out other presentations given recently
4. Start making changes to PowerPoint slides
5. Print out the first batch of slides
6. Scribble all over them
7. Re-edit these slides
8. Keep on at the slides until late at night
9. Work at it over the weekend
10. Give it to a colleague to look at
11. Incorporate those comments
12. Work until late at night again
13. Rehearse in the taxi on the way to the meeting
Then, start with:
“Hello, my name is John Smith and I am here today to talk about…..”
This process is akin to making a movie by going out with a camera hoping to find interesting things to film.
It is why so many presentations are deathly boring. Learn how to prepare a presentation.
1. Do NOT open PowerPoint
2. Be clear on who your audience is and what you want to achieve.
3. Have a single message that summarises your talk
4. Break down your presentation into clear parts
5. Start your presentation with a high impact statement
6. Identify stories, anecdotes and examples
7. Finish your presentation with a clear message, request or call to action
8. Use clear simple language
9. Incorporate pauses, short sentences, great eye contact
10. Work out what questions you could be asked
11. Now, work out if you really need any visual aids or handouts
12. Practise, practise, practise
Fundraising presentations are hard work. You're bombarded with challenging questions from investors, worn out by long days, and struggling to...
Investment decision-making is not totally rational. Are you using all the tools at your disposal to create and deliver persuasive...
Do your public speaking skills inspire, motivate and influence others? They should. Many leaders are nervous of public speaking. Some...
A great investor pitch book is at the heart of successful fundraising. You use it to capture the essence of...
Better Body Language We all know that body language is important in business. But how important? And does is really...
How can you be seen as a top 1% fund by investors? At SuperReturn Emerging Markets in Amsterdam, experienced LPs...
A great elevator pitch is an essential part of your toolkit Last month I chaired the Quickfire Showcase at Berlin’s...
You must prepare for media interviews The excruciating Newsnight interview with Treasury Minister Chloe Smith this summer is one example of...
These days, we are writing more than ever. That means it’s harder than ever to grab attention. Your readers have...
When an investor questions how you calculated your Private Equity fund's performance, how do you react? If an investor asks...
How do you choose a public speaking coach? When selecting a public speaking coach or presentation trainer, you want to work...
How To Use Powerful Language For Leadership Communications Great leaders use Power Language. It adds interest and colour to...
So What? is probably your most important question. When you put your talk or presentation together, how do you decide what...
What do LPs want from private equity funds at first investor meetings? That's the question I put to the panel...
What do investors really want? Six tips We wrote this piece with our Private Equity clients in mind. But there...
Do you want to give high impact talks and presentations? Do you want to engage your audience? And do you want...
How to tell a great business story Leaders use storytelling so that audiences listen, remember and act on what they...
How do you make your investment pitch more memorable? It's a real challenge these days. Investors have more opportunities than...
Your leadership talks need to be persuasive As a leader, every talk or presentation you give is an exercise in persuasion....
A well-crafted private equity pitch book can make the difference between securing a first meeting with investors and getting a...
Our Most Popular Coaching Programmes
“BBA transformed our pitch into a compelling investment narrative. They undoubtedly helped us secure Sky TV as an investor.”
Gerry Bastable Director, Blast Films
“The new presentation properly represents the institutional quality of our fund. It has been a step change for us.”
Erwin de Kleijn Head of IR, Saemor Capital
“We were very pleased…[BBA] helped us define and explain our unique value proposition. As a result we have attracted new and different investors.”
Florian Kemmerich Managing Partner, Bamboo Capital Partners
Client Services Director
+44 (0)20 7018 0922