How to Prepare a Presentation – what not to do
February 02, 2018
How do you prepare a presentation?
First, understand how NOT to prepare a presentation.
This what most people do to prepare presentations:
1. Switch on their computer
2. Open up PowerPoint
3. Search out other presentations given recently
4. Start making changes to PowerPoint slides
5. Print out the first batch of slides
6. Scribble all over them
7. Re-edit these slides
8. Keep on at the slides until late at night
9. Work at it over the weekend
10. Give it to a colleague to look at
11. Incorporate those comments
12. Work until late at night again
13. Rehearse in the taxi on the way to the meeting
Then, start with:
“Hello, my name is John Smith and I am here today to talk about…..”
This process is akin to making a movie by going out with a camera hoping to find interesting things to film.
How to prepare your great presentation – 10 steps
1. Do NOT open PowerPoint
2. Be clear on who your audience is and what you want to achieve.
3. Have a single message that summarises your talk
4. Break down your presentation into clear parts
5. Start your presentation with a high impact statement
6. Identify stories, anecdotes and examples
7. Finish your presentation with a clear message, request or call to action
8. Use clear simple language
9. Incorporate pauses, short sentences, great eye contact
10. Work out what questions you could be asked
11. Now, work out if you really need any visual aids or handouts
12. Practise, practise, practise
How to be confident of preparing a great presentation?
About Benjamin Ball Associates
At Benjamin Ball Associates, we help clients to communicate better.
Over 12+ years the award-winning BBA team has coached thousands of senior executives globally to present powerfully. You get access to a transformational toolbox of techniques to help you become a clear, confident communicator.
We’ll help you create a powerful first impression that hooks and engages your audience immediately and we’ll transform you to deliver clearly, confidently and with impact.
Speak to Louise on +44 20 7018 0922 or email email@example.com to find out more and discuss your upcoming speech or presentation.
Contact us for a chat about how Benjamin Ball Associates can help you.
What leaders say about Benjamin Ball Associates
"Essential if you are going to be a spokesperson for your business"
Senior Analyst, Sloane Robinson
"Being an effective communicator is essential to get your stock ideas across. This course is exactly what's needed to help you do just that!"
CEO, Blast! Films
“Our investment in the coaching has paid for itself many times over.”
Corporate Finance House
“You address 95% of the issues in a quarter of the time of your competitor.”
“Good insight and a great toolbox to improve on my presentations and delivery of messages to not only boards, analysts and shareholders but to all audiences”
“We had a good story to tell, but you helped us deliver it more coherently and more positively.”
CEO, IPSO Ventures
“Ben did a great job on our presentation. He transformed an ordinary set of slides into a great presentation with a clear message. Would definitely use him again and recommend him highly.”
“Moved our presentation into a different league and undoubtedly improved the outcome and offer we received.”
Head of IR, Equinox
“A fantastic job reviewing and transforming our marketing material and helping us get our message across with clarity to potential investors.”